Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Gov. Tim Walz: an absolute winner of a VP pick. If only I could believe it will make any difference

Photo: Carolyn Kaster/AP

Some may have noticed that I am most pessimistic about the upcoming US election and our overall society as it presently stands. I firmly believe that the folk of this very right-wing, majority-white country shall return Donald Trump to the White House. I remain grievously upset over the Democratic Party’s betrayal of President Joe Biden and still believe their actions shall return to plague them. My overall stance remains unchanged, though I do acknowledge that Kamala Harris has run stronger than I did anticipate, whilst Trump made an unforced error in nominating JD Vance as his running mate (or was it ‘unforced’? See my post of 13 July).

That being said, I must acknowledge that Kamala Harris has been running much stronger than I had anticipated, at least so far. She has also made an excellent choice of running mate in Governor Tim Walz. Not being from Minnesota, I was not familiar with him, but he made an immediately strong first impression on me. He is an affable, sensible, and competent candidate, far more likeable than his GOP counterpart. If only the people of #Murica respected such qualities any longer. Alas, they do not.

No matter the outcome, win or lose, I am now more inclined to lend my active support to this Democratic ticket because of Governor Walz. Yet, please remember that people do not cast their votes for Vice-President. As much as Vance wounds Trump and as much as Governor Walz aids the current Madame VP, I shall not harbour false hope. There is nothing I hate more in this universe than false hope, yet I shall do my part and obey my conscience, no matter how futile. By the way, I am more than happy to be proven wrong about the outcome of this election. I acknowledge that I am an exceptionally untrusting and pessimistic person, and a total misanthrope. What can I say? Life’s experiences have moulded me into the bitter middle-aged man that I am. I shall always err on the side of caution and brace myself for the worst when it comes to people and circumstances.

Copyright 2024, Arthur Newhook. @Sunking278 and @FloydEtcetera on X, and at the same handles on FACEBOOK. MASTODON - @ArthurNewhook@mastodon.world, BLUESKY - @arthurnewhook.bsky.social. DONATIONS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED at https://tinyurl.com/ArthurNewhook.

No comments:

Post a Comment